We've been watching the movie of Fiddler on the Roof after dinner the last couple of nights.
I am endlessly fascinated by having an adult experience of things I watched or read as a kid. Fiddler on the Roof is a good example.
We had the Zero Mostel record of the Broadway Show as a kid, and I know all the words to every song. I was in the show in a summer production when I was 16 (as Motel's mother, I had one line). I saw it on stage several times. So I knew that show.
I even thought I knew what it was about. Tradition, right? Sure. Now, the show is somewhat ambivalent about tradition, as are, I guess, a lot of people. But for sure, the show was about how letting the father choose the husband for the daughter was a tradition that was no longer useful in the early 20th century, and so would have to go.
Well, okay, fair enough. But the kid Me didn't understand at all about tradition. Well, my kids are in a really different position, with parents who are perfectly happy to Pause and Explain. In our house, Madison is the second biggest fan of the Pause button (David is the biggest fan). We do a lot of Explaining.
What doesn't get brought out in Fiddler is any real commentary on the issue of tradition per se. Yes, the girls end up marrying the man of their choice, even Chava, who marries the non-Jewish soldier...but that's where Tevye draws the line. I think the show is ambivalent about tradition (sometimes it sustains, and sometimes it gets in the way of real life), and that's about the only conclusion to draw.
What we here in the Ross house are thinking and talking about, though, is INTRINSICISM, the relevant issue vis-a-vis Tradition.
Now, don't get me wrong, we love traditions. Traditions, properly construed, are extremely valuable for a family, for kids. We do a Birthday of the Day. We pass the Oplotek at Christmas and give each other best wishes for the new year. We take the girls to the Highland Gathering in June and explore their Scottish heritage and listen to the bagpipes. We go to Brown's Berry Patch with our Cuban friends every Fourth of July to pick cherries and celebrate freedom.
Family traditions give kids a sense of security and confidence in what they can expect. They are soothing. They form a chain of memories, a solid base from which kids can extend themselves.
But! But.
Tradition simply for the sake of tradition is wrong. There must be a reason for any individual or family to adopt any particular tradition. Hear that? We don't make chrusciki simply because the girls are partly Polish, and that's what you're "supposed to do"--we make chrusciki because it's the most awesome pastry in the world, and we also enjoy the story about the girls' great-great grandmother Karolina that goes along with it. We don't eat pork on New Year's because the girls are Cuban -- in fact, they're NOT Cuban! But our dear friends are, and Tatiana's roast pork is delicious, and we think about what pork used to be able to mean to Cubans before the Revolution, and we think about the same things that Americans of Cuban descent think about when they eat their New Year's pork and mourn the fact that their families back in Cuba can no longer get meat.
So! Let's say it loudly:
SOME TRADITIONS ARE STUPID AND HORRIBLE AND SHOULD BE TOSSED OUT ON THEIR EAR!
And the ones that are empty or done for no reason are a waste of time and should be abandoned, too.
An unexamined life based mostly on tradition is not a life well-lived.
I am reminded of a talk I saw Marsha Enright give over 10 years ago, in which she advocated thinking about everything we do in daily life, down to the handshake, and having reasons for each thing. For most things, there IS a good reason; it's just important to be aware of it. It was a really good exercise.
So...examine your traditions, and make sure there's a good WHY for all of them.
Monday, September 01, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
My irritation with Fiddler on the Roof on this viewing surprised me. It also perplexed me; I’m usually good at accepting the premises of movies and rolling with them. Your discussion of traditions has helped me understand my irritation.
You’re right that some traditions are good. Your examples of our traditions are great instances of good ones. You might have added red wine on the evening before Thanksgiving and the hike on Thanksgiving day. Church on Christmas Eve and the hanging of the annual ornaments, with the recitals of their stories, are other fine traditions.
What are such traditions? They’re actions that we repeat as a way to enhance the experience of certain values by pausing life for them, and by integrating them over time.
You’re right that intrinsicism is a risk regarding tradition. So often, folks let the form of a tradition, the acting out of the ritual, take precedence over the values that the tradition; often, I think, they mistake the form of the ritual for a value itself. I hope that the first time that Ella and Madison have red wine on the evening before Thanksgiving without me will be after I’m dead. But it may be sooner. Suppose that I fought viciously with Madison over her disrespect for the tradition when she announced that she planned to spend the holiday with a college friend; I’d be contradicting the value—the warm joy of familial affection—that the tradition was designed to celebrate.
Back to Fiddler on the Roof. The film casts Tevye’s adherence to the unquestioned ways of his ancestors—specifically, to the ideas that one must no marry outside the faith, and that one’s parents should choose one’s spouse—as “tradition”. Indeed, this corresponds to colloquial usage. However, this broad, vague, colloquial notion of “tradition” has nothing essential in common with the concept of tradition that you use to refer to roast pork on New Year’s Eve and cherries on the 4th.
It’s true that if one asks a real-life Tevye, someone who adheres to foolish or vicious ways that have been passed down through generations, that person is likely to defend himself by saying “It’s tradition”. But this is not an actual explanation. It’s one of those things that folks say in order to get themselves off the hook on an issue regarding which they haven’t the courage to determine and to do what’s right. They think that the vacuous but familiar phrase “It’s tradition” will get others of their backs. Generally, it works.
But they’re not advocating traditions of the sort, or for the reasons, that you do. You advocate traditions that identify and celebrate values. They invoke the bromide “tradition” to cover up the fact that they’ve chosen the numb safety of tribally-sanction habit over the risks of pursuing happiness.
So, this is what irritated me about the film. (I’m not sure why it didn’t irritate me this way other times I’ve seen it.) The film invokes “tradition” just as real people do, to cover up the pain wrought by foolishness, or perhaps I should say cowardice.
Post a Comment