Sunday, June 21, 2009

Two Cool Mom awards in one weekend

I got the Cool Mom award this weekend for arranging for a tent on my patio for the party I gave yesterday for a friend and colleague. It was a good thing I did so, because it poured all day yesterday. I got special recognition for putting beautiful white Christmas lights up all around in it. Except of course I've raised the standard, and the Young Critters are ALWAYS going to want a tent now. And the lights.

(I didn't take a picture, I was too busy. Ah, well, can't remember EVERYTHING.)

I also got a Cool Mom award for going out in the rain in my dress (I did put on sneakers) during the party and successfully defending my Tetherball Master title, against two very tall young teenage boys in turn. They put up a great fight. I was exhausted after beating the first one, but didn't rest before taking on the second.

On the other hand, if I ever do that again, I will be sure to wear wrist guards. Teenage boys can hit that ball *hard*, and 40-year-old forearms apparently bruise readily. I am wearing the battle scars with pride, though I hope I don't have to wear them for *too* long. It took four whole days for my sunburn to stop hurting last week. What is it with this suddenly-older body? Maybe I should start taking some vitamin...although WHAT vitamin, I'd have no idea. Vitamin C?

4 comments:

John Enright said...

Congrats on beating the those boys! I bet THEY were surprised.

Deb said...

I don't think they were that surprised because they'd been hearing all afternoon from my kids -- who are very proud of this -- about how I am the Champ.

I kind of wished they'd won. They'd have been so proud. (I'm a mom. I don't generally play to win against kids. :-) )

I also know full well David could probably beat the pants off me if he tried. He hasn't tried. I think he wants to preserve my mystique for the kids.

Anonymous said...

I (aka Susan) heard that we got a record amount of rain for that day here (sorry about that, but congrats on everything else). As for David, we did spot him in Sunday's D&C article.

Lynne said...

Cool Moms don't let kids win! They're cool because when the kids do win, and they all do eventually, she's given them something much better than a gimme. Your coolness is safe.

I don't know what vitamin to take for bruises either. The onset of SOB (suddenly-older body) is quite discomforting - I know. Let me know if you find something that works.

And nice use of the Christmas lights. They make everything more festive!