I'm wondering if any of my fellow writing or homeschooling mom friends has read The Underneath, by Kathi Appelt.
We're about 30% of the way into the audio book. I would never have patience for this book if we were reading it, and definitely neither would Madison -- too little plot, too much description, its lyrical-ness is extremely repetitive. I think the reader is good, has caught the rhythm of the bayou of East Texas.
But...it is extremely dark. I find it kind of compelling, but the girls are somewhat unnerved by it, especially my sensitive Madison.
Question: Is anyone willing to give me the ending in the comments? I'm not sure I should continue it with the girls. Opinions?
Wednesday, June 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
It is dark to the end. The dog and kittens all make it through, but all three suffer a great deal. It's very much a book about the amount of damage one person acting in hate can do in the world, how far-reaching one person's bad decisions can be.
Thanks a lot, Adrienne. Ella and I made it through, and I think she found the ending satisfying. I don't know if Madison will want to.
I would never have thought the snake capable of redemption, though. That was just TOO quick an about-face.
Post a Comment