Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Lovely weather

The last two days have seen record-high temperatures here in Rochester, in the mid-60s. I have never seen it this warm in January. Everyone was rejoicing, everyone was outside, everyone was talking about it. There was a sense that we were all on furlough for a little while.

The fact is, the winter here really is something that must be endured. I've felt better about having to do so since returning from Virginia, which never felt like home to me, despite the mild winter we enjoyed there from 2005-2006. I really did enjoy that.

The wind is blowing hard from the northwest this morning, which means we're returning to "seasonal" temperatures. On the other hand, it's still not going to be much worse than the 30s for the next several days. "Endurance" doesn't really enter into the psyche here until we're only topping out at 20, or if it's snowing hard.

And, I shouldn't talk. I get to educate my kids at home. I get to work at home. Sure, we go out to a lot of classes, but the parking lots are always close to the door. And while the driving can be bad, it's never too far. I don't have to struggle in the bitter wind tunnels of a snowy campus on a long walk from parking lot U. David never complains, though, never.

No comments: