Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Taking a Stand in Texas

Laura loaned me the new documentary

Taking a Stand in Texas: The Battle for Home School Freedom

It was produced by the Texas Home School Coalition last year through Laurel Wilson Productions.

Wow, what a fabulous production, and a good education for us to boot. Even we non-Christians were amazed by it. I'm not a group joiner, especially a home school group joiner, but I almost feel compelled to gather a bunch of Rochester-area home schoolers to watch it together, all 76 minutes of it. It's really compelling. I hadn't realized how recently it was that home schoolers were so harassed, and it's so inspiring to hear how the government was fought against successfully in Texas in 1986. We surely benefit from their effort, no doubt about it.

Even the girls were spellbound by it. Madison, especially.

And David and I are still weeping over the NASA woman who testified at that trial how she gave up the opportunity to be the first woman -- the first black woman at that -- in space, in order to home school her kids.

Adrienne, the homeschool section of the Webster Library should DEFINITELY get this on the shelf. It's only $20.

Laura, I'm going to keep this for a very little while to show it to a couple of people, and then I'll send it back, I promise.

No comments: