We visited the pediatrician yesterday for the girls' annual checkup. They hadn't been sick at all in the past year, and last year's checkup was with the PA, so they hadn't seen him in some time.
Our pediatrician isn't scintillatingly bright (he's fine for healthy children, if you know what I mean, but he wasn't able to diagnose Dario's hearing problem for years, it took a specialist to do that), but it turns out he's EXTREMELY homeschool friendly. He was SO impressed with the girls.
"What's your favorite topic in school?" he asked Ella.
"Logic."
His eyebrows flew up with surprise and pleasure. He was interested in how much time academics takes in the morning. He asked about all of the extra classes the girls are able to do. He commented that they get to do all of this stuff because they have the time and the energy from not going to school.
"I'm jealous," he said to the girls. "I wish I could go to your school."
I've heard about people struggling over homeschooling issues with their pediatricians, not that I would tolerate one whiff of that of course, but it certainly is pleasing to have someone so on one's side.
Friday, January 04, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
That's great! It is nice not to have to fight that battle, even just changing docs is sometimes a big pain.
Our doc is very homeschool-friendly, too. Her kids go to Catholic school, and a few of her comments lead me to believe she's actually opposed to government school. I've had friends around here who've had to shop around for new pediatricians after their oldest hit about 5 years old. One doctor persisted in quizzing the child in academic areas ("what's the capitol of...?").
Post a Comment