It's Robert Burns's birthday. He was born in Scotland (where else?) in 1759. He was only 37 when he died in 1796. The girls didn't really like "To a Louse," although I do. They liked "To A Mouse" marginally better. But they really liked "My Love is Like A Red, Red Rose."
My Love is Like A Red, Red Rose
O my luve is like a red, red rose
That's newly sprung in June;
O my luve's like the melodie
That's sweetly played in tune.
As fair art thou, my bonny lass,
So deep in luve am I;
And I will luve thee still, my dear,
Till a' the seas gang dry.
Till a' the seas gang dry, my dear,
And the rocks melt wi' the sun;
I will luve thee still, my dear,
While the sands o' life shall run.
And fare thee weel, my only love,
And fare thee weel, awhile!
And I will come again, my love
Though it were ten thousand mile
Friday, January 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Deb and Laura: Came across your "Arrogance?" post via Rational Jenn (carnival post) via Gus Van Horn.
You go girl!
Check out:
1) My website at www.GoldMathServices.com -- hope it helps with science or literature suggestions
2) Great physics lectures by Dr. Michael Fowler (UVa) at:
a) (using history to teach physics; lecture on heat; more) http://galileo.phys.virginia.edu/classes/109N/more_stuff/home.html
b) (modern physics) http://galileo.phys.virginia.edu/classes/252/home.html
c) (home page, with links to course lectures) http://galileo.phys.virginia.edu/~mf1i/home.html
...and etc. Dr. Fowler teaches from a historical perspective, thereby presenting physics conceptually and inductively. He discusses who did what experiments when, and for what reason, and for what theory or hypothesis, right or wrong -- gotta see what was done wrong to see how induction (not bolts from the blue) and therefore reality rule the day. Human imagination divorced from reality a la Plato or Kant do not.
Fowler is homeschool friendly.
Best,
Michael
Post a Comment